[LUAU] SuSE Demo

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at hawaiilinux.us
Fri Feb 17 20:19:37 PST 2006

In the next week or so, we will be installing a Novell SuSE (10.0)
desktop demo at the Hawaii State Bar Association (1132 Bishop, Suite
906).  This system will include a slightly customized OpenOffice.org
2.0, and a VMWare player with a WinXP Pro image (along with WordPerfect
and Microsoft Office) on a 2.5" USB disc.   The ultimate goal, of
course, is to be able to completely do away with the need for Windows apps.

At the outset (and as an exercise), we will try to put together a set of
OOo templates for attorneys or per se litigants to access the federal
district court (such as writing pleadings, motions, requests for
production/admission, interrogatories, etc.) without having to pay the
Microsoft tax.  However, the initial goal is not to advocate a Linux
based system, but to collect user experiences--to see, hopefully on a
broad basis, what kind of problems/complaints/dislikes that a potential
Linux user may have (& will turn him/her away).  I am quite confident
that we should be able to solve most if no all of these problems, but
first we have to know what they are.  Again, the key focus is to
establish a process for collecting and compiling user experiences.

I will be attending Ron's Asterisk seminar (sans pizza) on Tuesday
02/21.  If you are interested in helping out, we can chat after the
talk.  For those in my little OpenSuSE/OpenSolaris/OpenOffice study
group, this will be our first project.  Mahalo.  Wayne