[LUAU] Splitting video

Tim Newsham newsham at lava.net
Wed Feb 15 17:58:53 PST 2006

> Anyone know the specifics about splitting video?  One of my teachers
> wants to see his video on his video terminal as well as his projector
> for the class.  I've seen it a dozen times before but have not had
> occasion to use it myself.

Lots of systems provide dual outputs for this purpose.  For example,
my laptop has an LCD built in, and a SVideo and a VGA video port.
The LCD display is seperate from the other two outputs (which show
the same signal) and the video card can drive the LCD and the
output ports seperately.

In Windows you can use these two outputs as seperate displays or as
mirrors of each other.  In XP the video control panel has an option
to display multiple monitors or a single one, and, if multiple, the
resolution of each display (shows up as two boxes, #1, and #2).
When using both outputs some programs are hip to the second display
and automatically display full-screen on the second display.  For
example, powerpoint and windows media player will both show output
in full screen on the secondary display while showing just a window
in the primary display.

Theres usually a CRT/LCD button for switching between using the
primary only, the secondary only, or both (showing the same image).
On my box its Fn-F8 (in blue letters it says CRT/LCD).

I'm not entirely sure how this is usually done in Linux (or other
unices) since I dont have a dual display on one.

> Scott Foulk
> Tech Coordinator
> Kailua Intermediate School

Tim Newsham