[LUAU] Re: mythtv install

Eric Jeschke eric at redskiesatnight.com
Fri Feb 3 02:22:21 PST 2006

Matt wrote:

> Wow that install guide is awesome!  The hardware guide is worth the price
> alone.
>
> Have you ever used the knoppix mythtv distro?  When you said FC4, I assume
> you built it from source.
>

> I have literally never seen a linux project as refined and user-friendly
>
>>as mythtv.  Once it's compiled, you never really need to touch the
>>command line again (except to start the frontend).  All of the setup and
>>customization are through the cute little menus.  It's well documented,
>>and remarkably easy, unless you have some non-standard hardware.
>

> I was looking forward to it before....now I am _really_ looking forward to
> it. The screen shots put my replaytv to shame
>

> I downloaded the dsmyth filters http://dsmyth.sourceforge.net/ ,
>
>>installed mythweb, and stream my shows to my windows machine.  You can
>>even do live TV over your favorite Windows media player (except "Windows
>>Media Player TM").  I hear you need something just slightly faster/more
>>reliable than 802.11b to stream them.  I use gigabit ethernet, but I'm
>>pretty sure 802.11g or 100 Mbit ethernet would do it great.
>

> I have an iMac for my machine at home...I wonder if you can stream to it.  I
> use 802.11g
>

> I haven't played with any of the mythplugins, except for the mythweb.
>
>>But it seems that they install pretty cleanly.

I have a Mythtv box that I demoed at our last BILUG meeting.  It also
uses a simple WinTV card, but the picture is pretty nice anyway.

I can definitely recommend using Ubuntu as the base.  Just enable the
universe and multiverse repositories and then synaptic is your friend--
just search for mythtv and it will install everything that you need.
I installed most of the plug ins: weather is cool, music and photos work
  OK (nothing fancy).  Didn't try the games (xmame).

Configuring is the hard part, but there are some fairly good guides you
can google for.  I added a 300 GB drive for recording and the result is
great.  I concur that this is a very nice looking, professional quality
DVR solution.  The recording and searching options are as good or better
than I've seen on any commercial offering.

Oh, and streaming works great to a laptop running 802.11g wireless with
just the front end installed; I watch/pause live tv or recorded shows
anywhere on the property.

--
Eric Jeschke
http://redskiesatnight.com/