[LUAU] Re: Putting the UG back in LUG

Matt Darnell mattdarnell at gmail.com
Thu Feb 2 19:23:08 PST 2006

On 2/2/06, Eric Hattemer <hattenator at imapmail.org> wrote:

> Matt Darnell wrote:

> I'm not in Hawaii anymore, but let me know if you get stuck with this.
> I have had a mythtv box setup for over a year now.  It's not terribly
> hard.  I'm using Fedora 4.  It works great.  I do have to worry about
> RedHat changing my udev configuration and stopping mythtv from finding
> the TV card, but I just have to remember to play with the udev settings
> after any major rpm upgrade.

Not sure what that means....but I am sure some of the boys will!

You may want to join the mythtv mailing list.  It's pretty chatty,
> though.  But join it for a bit, and people will have interesting
> suggestions (not as important now that you have your TV cards).

Good idea, I will join right away

  I have
> a bttv card, which is somewhat low quality, doesn't have onboard
> processing, but does come automatically in the kernel.  The ivtv based
> cards are significantly trickier to get working on the kernel level.  I
> do suggest a card with an onboard mpeg2 processor, though.  That will
> significantly lower your overhead and let you tape more things
> simultaneously while using the computer.
>
> The main page is at http://www.mythtv.org/ .  Now that they've added
> plenty of functionality and worked out most of the bugs, I would stick
> to the point (non-svn) versions.  The svn versions work fine too, but
> you feel like you have to keep upgrading.  They are as step-by-step as
> possible here: http://www.mythtv.org/modules.php?name=MythInstall .

Wow that install guide is awesome!  The hardware guide is worth the price
alone.

Have you ever used the knoppix mythtv distro?  When you said FC4, I assume
you built it from source.

I have literally never seen a linux project as refined and user-friendly
> as mythtv.  Once it's compiled, you never really need to touch the
> command line again (except to start the frontend).  All of the setup and
> customization are through the cute little menus.  It's well documented,
> and remarkably easy, unless you have some non-standard hardware.

I was looking forward to it before....now I am _really_ looking forward to
it. The screen shots put my replaytv to shame

I downloaded the dsmyth filters http://dsmyth.sourceforge.net/ ,
> installed mythweb, and stream my shows to my windows machine.  You can
> even do live TV over your favorite Windows media player (except "Windows
> Media Player TM").  I hear you need something just slightly faster/more
> reliable than 802.11b to stream them.  I use gigabit ethernet, but I'm
> pretty sure 802.11g or 100 Mbit ethernet would do it great.

I have an iMac for my machine at home...I wonder if you can stream to it.  I
use 802.11g

I haven't played with any of the mythplugins, except for the mythweb.
> But it seems that they install pretty cleanly.

The plugins look really cool.  I have 5-6 DVD's I watch a lot....being able
to drop them in the myth box & rip them for quick and easy viewing will be
very cool.

Thanks for the feedback!  Do you mind giving you hardware specs -
motherboard part #, CPU, which bttv cap card.

-Matt