[LUAU] Re: Goobuntu Linux

Michael Bishop michael at michaelsplace.net
Thu Feb 2 11:37:06 PST 2006

On Feb 1, 2006, at 7:59 PM, Julian Yap wrote
> Maybe someone who is more knowledgeable on the economics of Windows
> licensing can fill me on what would be the cost to set that up for
> ~330
> students?  We're talking Windows Server 2003 and CALs for users and
> students here.

Well it depends on how many computers are at the school. But for an
extreme view, lets assume every student has a computer which is very
possible with an LTSP solution.

~$25 per license for Windows XP * 330 computers = $8250
~$120 per license for Windows 2003 * 2 servers = $240
~$3 per CAL * 330 computers = $990

Total = $9480

Add Office 2003 @ ~$50 per license * 330 computers = $16,500

Final total = $25,980

Not counting the hardware needed which I'd estimate at about $8,000
academic pricing for dual processor machines with SCSI drives,
hardware raid and tape backups.

Final Final Total = $41,980

But wait, there's more. We haven't tossed in the need for anti-virus/
anti-spam software and perhaps diskeeper. However, the Hawaii DOE has
purchased a central school-wide solution, so you don't see the cost.
So you are left with the need for a good anti-spam solution. The free
are ones nice, but usually requires constant updating and running on
a weekly basis. If you pay for a solution, that's another chuck of
money.

Hope that helps.

Michael