[LUAU] Re: Goobuntu Linux

prb at lava.net prb at lava.net
Wed Feb 1 13:30:18 PST 2006

Josh wrote:
> --- luau-request at lists.hosef.org wrote:
>

>>>Personally, I have trouble imagining that Google
>
> would want to get
>
>>>into the Desktop OS business. Ubuntu isn't bad, but
>
> the only way
>
>>>anyone will profit is if they sell computers in
>
> volume with Linux
>
>>>pre-installed.
>>
>>Try telling that to RedHat, or any of the other
>
> linux distro vendors.
>
>>>As the article states, one possibility is a version
>
> of Ubuntu
>
>>>tweaked for internal use. That would make more
>
> sense. But they
>
>>>wouldn't go to all the trouble of re-skinning then.
>

> There has been talk about Google OS for a long time.
> It would be extremely profitable for Google.  They
> could gather more data about users and provide lots of
> additional advertising.

This presupposes that people are going to put the new OS on their hard
drives more than they are doing now. How are they going to get people to
do that?

> There were also some recent rumors about a GoogleCube
> or some kind of consumer electronic device that
> eventually would be able to be expanded into a
> computer.  Other rumors were about Google buying
> T-Mobile or another cell phone company to build cell
> phones that would be able to automatically connect to
> the coming wireless "GoogleNet" with VoIP.  Microsoft
> is talking about a cell phone that could be attached
> to a keyboard and monitor to make a simple computer,
> and if that happens then they probably won't be the
> only one making them.  I think that a lot of new
> things are going to happen soon.  I don't know what
> Google will do with "Goobuntu" and OpenOffice but I
> think it's going to be big.

The thing is, Google would have better luck making Windows software that
accessed this new network. People are far more likely to install new
software than install a new OS. As for Goobuntu, if it exists, I suspect
it is for internal use:

Ask yourself, what's their market for YALD? Geeks? None of us would
tolerate such an invasion of privacy. N00bs? They try Linux if a Geek
helps them. The efforts of Xandros and Linspire are just a drop in the
bucket. Corporate customers? Those that try Linux typically put it in
servers. A few companies have tried Linux on desktops. Either way, no
company wants the kind of snooping Google is capable of.
--
Hawaiian Astronomical Society: http://www.hawastsoc.org
HAS Deepsky Atlas: http://www.hawastsoc.org/deepsky