[LUAU] HDs for mirrors.hosef.org

jonr at destar.net jonr at destar.net
Fri Dec 22 18:15:10 PST 2006

Quoting Wilson Chan <wilson at wilsonch.gotdns.com>:

> > Quoting "jon":
> >
> > A couple of other things to look into for spam fighting. A 30 second sleep
> > during the smtp exchange will reduce spam, sendmail uses what is called a
> > 'GreetPause'. Testing for valid users during the smtp process then
> rejecting
> > the email if the user doesn't exist will also help. Make sure that you send
> > message back to the sender letting them know that that user does not exist,
> it
> > may just have been a typo.
> >
> > Anything you can do at the smtp layer is preferred, it will be less of a
> load on
> > your server at this level rather than spamassassin firing up perl to check
> the
> > mail.
> >
> > Hope that helps a little,
> >
> > Jon
>

> Hey Jon,
>
> What is needed to setup the 30 second sleep delay for sendmail? Also, are
> their any negative effects to doing this?
>
> We run SA here at work and filter 100,000+ messages a day. Our setup runs
> spamassassin, clamav, sare ruleset, RBL, SURBL, DCC, Pyzor, Razor, etc. Its
> running up and up with the commercial spam appliances. :)

Hi Wilson,

The stanza would go into your sendmail.mc file and would look like this:

sendmail.mc:FEATURE(`greet_pause',  `6000')dnl

That is a 6 second sleep, I'll leave the math to you. ;)

One thing to take into consideration about this. I do this on our mail relay
server and the actual server that the users get their mail from. Outlook chokes
on the greetpause and won't be able to pop mail from the server. But on a mail
relay it is another measure to try to stem the tide.

Definitely do some research about the Outlook issue before you implement this in
your production boxes.

Jon