[LUAU] s/hosef.ics.hawaii.edu/mirrors.hosef.org/g

Nakashima pnakashi at k12.hi.us
Mon Dec 18 20:18:18 PST 2006

Hi Jimen,
I think my unclear style of writing muddied up the water. Let me
explain.

On Sunday, December 17, 2006, at 07:47  PM, Jimen Ching wrote:

> Are you sure you're living in Hawaii?  Level of bickering is
> surprising? Are you not monitoring the Rail Transit debate?  Are you
> not monitoring the Hawaii K-12 education debate?  If you have a group
> of people that has more than 5 people, you'll have bickering.  Is this
> a surprise for you? Where are you from?

I should have swapped the 2nd and 3rd sentences.

Being an educator, not a geek (in the positive sense), my rose-colored
expectations lead me to believe there would be a greater sense of
community on the list.

[Self deprecating comment, not negative to LUAU posters, so no need to
feel offended. The term "rose-colored" defined as, an attitude of
cheerful optimism, of seeing everything in an attractive, pleasant
light. When I first got involved with HOSEF, I knew nothing about
Linux, open source software, and the rest. My initial exposure to it
all, along with my "newbie-ness," led me to think, here was this
wonderful utopian, open, community oriented concept. I didn't bother
viewing it with my "real world" glasses. Therefore, the level of
bickering surprised me. As you correctly stated above, this stuff is
the same as any other stuff involving people of diverse views.]

However, I still have hopes (here I go again) that HOSEF and LUAU can
rise above the usual bickering of a rail transit or k-12 education
debate.

My apologies to you for being muddy in my initial post. Probably made
me sound like an idiot  :-)
--Peter