[LUAU] HDs for mirrors.hosef.org

Clifton Royston cliftonr at iandicomputing.com
Mon Dec 18 08:54:40 PST 2006

On Mon, Dec 18, 2006 at 06:10:09AM -1000, Michael Bishop wrote:
> Jim Thompson wrote:
> >>>
> >>I'll buy one for the mirror. How about:
> >>
> >>Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641A 500GB PATA 7200RPM Hard Drive
> >>w/16MB Buffer ***Free Shipping***
> >>http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=101547
> >>
> >>$198.99 each
> >>$795.96 for 4 HDs
> >>$11.99 S&H to Hawaii
> >>$807.95 grand total

  Sounds good to me.  My experience is that I'd expect a longer life
from the Barracuda than the Maxtor.  (Also sounds like you're saying
the server is IDE/PATA.) That would give roughly 1 TB either in RAID 1,
or configured as 1+0 (mirrored and striped.)

> >>I'd personally like to see mirrored:
> >>- Ubuntu repository
> >>- CentOS 4.4 repository
> >>- FreeBSD CVSup tree

  Ooh yeah.  Dunno if this is enough space for all that, but sounds
like a good goal.

> >Perhaps we should let Vince propose which drive(s) to purchase, @ <
> >$200 each.
> Sure, I would welcome any reasonable choice. Since I know Vince is quite
> busy. I figured I'd help push the process along and suggest something
> reasonable. Also, these come with a 5 year warranty which will help to
> stretch our donation. I think we put in Seagate's last time as well.
>
> Which reminds me, there is one IDE cable in the server that looks like
> it's been put through the grinder and then stepped on a few times. ;-P
> So I'll also donate some really long IDE cables. I should still have a
> new 36 and 48-inch in stock.
> >
> >I think we have "three" hands up to buy one and donate.
> I'm the "fourth" and would be willing to handle the transaction if
> everyone agrees. I'm putting in an order Wednesday morning so I can comp
> the S&H if we can all agree by then. Otherwise let me know where to send
> the check.

  I'm OK with that if Vince et al. are agreed.

  -- Clifton

--
    Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr at iandicomputing.com / cliftonr at lava.net
       President  - I and I Computing * http://www.iandicomputing.com/