[LUAU] "YouTube is almost entirely written in Python"

Julian Yap julian_yap at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 15 10:27:16 PST 2006

A recent post from Guido van Rossum, creator of the Python
programming language:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2006-December/070323.html

"And I just found out (after everyone else probably :-) that
YouTube is almost entirely written in Python. (And now I can rub
shoulders with the developers since they're all Googlers now...
:-)"

Python.org has a quote too:
http://www.python.org/about/quotes/

"Python is fast enough for our site and allows us to produce
maintainable features in record times, with a minimum of
developers," said Cuong Do, Software Architect, YouTube.com.

In case you thought that Python or dynamic languages don't scale
or that you've been FUD'd into believing you need to use Java or
.Net for the web.  That may be true in some corporate
environments but you're probably not going to get acquired for
$1.65 billion.

You can tell that a lot of YouTube uses MySQL and a hell of a
lot of database replication to cope with the custom queries for
different sections.  It's like, hmm, over hear it says 19,622
views and over here in the related box it says it's had 15,613
views.

Mind you, all of the major bandwidth for the videos is handled
by 3rd parties.

~ Julian