[LUAU] s/hosef.ics.hawaii.edu/mirrors.hosef.org/g

Julian Yap julian_yap at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 14 22:33:36 PST 2006

On Thu, 2006-12-14 at 17:37 -1000, Dave Burns wrote:
> On 12/14/06, Julian Yap <julian_yap at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I think we only have Suse and Debian update repositories from what I can
> > tell.  Vince, correct me if I'm wrong.
> >
> > What distribution do you use?
>
> Fedora core 5 currently. Guess I am out of luck.
>
> So if I was a yum expert, what Vince said would be all I needed to know? I
> could just peek at the repository and that would tell me?

Preferably you'd need to know the settings but you could reverse
engineer the settings, mostly.

You'd need to know the directory structure of the Base URL of the
repository as a bare minimum.  The gpgkey location also helps.

For example, the official baseurl for a 3rd party repository, Livna is:
http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/

This you could guess by browsing to to the URL
http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/ if that was the only thing provided to you.

Say if you're running Fedora Core 6 on an AMD 64 CPU you could then
potentially hard code the 'baseurl' parameter in repository settings to
http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/6/x86_64/.

Then again, you probably would not be able to guess that the gpg-key is
at the URL http://rpm.livna.org/RPM-LIVNA-GPG-KEY

But yeah, check out the files in /etc/yum.repos.d/ for more examples as
well as the man page for yum.conf.

If you modify your main Fedora Core repository to point to the one
repository (as opposed to the mirror list), you lose out in redundancy,
say if that one repository you point to is down.

If you're worried up Yum download speed, you can install the package
'yum-fastestmirror'.

This plugin sorts each repository's mirrorlist by connection speed prior
to downloading packages.

> Hmm, the knoppix directory seems pretty old. You guys need some help with
> the updating?

Updating (I think Vince kicked into gear just then).
http://mirrors.hosef.org/knoppix/

~ Julian