[LUAU] Linux-Hackers-onMac

Tim Newsham newsham at lava.net
Sun Apr 23 11:11:51 PDT 2006

> I was under the impression that "hacker" came from "neat hack" used as a term
> of approbation for a program, or a method, that achieved superior results
> with nothing more than an improved algorithm. Supposed to have been used at
> MIT by members of the model train club that got involved in computer (Stephen
> Levy, _Hackers_).

Jargon dictionary says "originally, someone who makes furniture with
an axe"

http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/H/hacker.html

and then goes on to describe its use in computer culture starting
at TMRC.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker_definition_controversy

goes into more detail and suggests other origins.

Reguardless of its origin, "one skillful enough to make a chair
using an axe" captures the spirit of (one of the definitions of)
the word.

[The original poster asked why they would use the word "hacker" (implied
derogatory by the poster) to describe the people who got xp running on a
mac]

> Karen Lofstrom

Tim Newsham
http://www.lava.net/~newsham/