[LUAU] Virtual Machine for Free (VMware-like)

Julian Yap julian_yap at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 4 12:16:11 PDT 2006

Did I write about Xen here?  I can't remember.

VMWare released free (as in beer) VMware Server back in early
February this year.[1]  Personal (and not so personal)
speculation is that it was in reaction to Xen releasing version
3.0.  Personal (and not so personal) speculation for MS doing a
similar move is more towards their rivalry with VMWare.

Xen has some strong industry backing.[2]

I wrote on a private list:
I tried to look find out some benchmark results for Xen vs.
VMWare but this is all I could find:
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/performance.html

It's a bit old but compares VMware workstation 3.2 (the latest
version of any VMware product which allows the publication of
comparative benchmarks).

Why can't you publish a more recent benchmark?
END USER LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR VMWARE® ESX SERVER and VMWARE®
VIRTUAL SMP SOFTWARE PRODUCTS
http://www.vmware.com/download/eula/esx_server.html

Under RESTRICTIONS:
You may not disclose the results of any benchmark test of the
Software to any third party without VMware's prior written
approval.

- Julian

1. http://www.vmware.com/news/releases/server_beta.html
2. http://www.xensource.com/products/xen/faqs.html
Over 20 of the industry’s major vendors, including AMD, Dell,
Egenera,Hewlett-Packard, IBM, Intel, Mellanox Technologies,
Network Appliance, Novell, Red Hat, Sun Microsystems, TopSpin,
Unisys and Voltaire.

http://www.betanews.com/article/MS_Virtual_Server_Free_Supports_Linux/1144084156