[LUAU] Which Linux VPN Solution?

Michael Bishop michael at michaelsplace.net
Thu Sep 29 20:12:47 PDT 2005

In regards to m0n0wall, at home I use it as my firewall/router/DHCP/
DNS/traffic shaper for a VoIP phone (provided by a local company, not
from RR). It's never given me any trouble and I don't worry about it
at all. It works well on an old PC or for a more compact solution on
an embedded system and you can even add wireless to it. Its about
$200 for a 3 NIC board with case; more if you want to add wireless
card, antenna(s), etc. You can also stick it in a weather proof case
and stick it on your roof.

I'm starting to evaluate it as a VPN for my clients particularly as
an office to home and office to office VPNs. I'll post my findings to
the list in case anyone is interested.

Netgate, which Jim owns and operates, sells a Soekris box with
m0n0wall installed and tested. There seems to be the recent addition
of a indoor enclosure where you can add your own Soekris board and
wireless, very nice.

http://www.netgate.com/index.php?
cPath=60&osCsid=897f0733985faa46f6afd6671ec60635

I am not affiliated with Netgate. I just think Jim is an awesome guy
and I like to support local companies.

Let me know how it goes, I'd like to know what you picked in the end.

Good luck.

Michael