[LUAU] VMWare on Fedora Core 4

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Mon Sep 19 10:32:46 PDT 2005

This past weekend I spent some time playing with VMWare 5 (an evaluation
copy) on FC4.  Everything (AFAIK) worked out of the box-except bridged
networking.  But it didn't take long the get this nuisance fixed.  On a
plain vanilla machine (Athlon64 2800+ w/ 1GB DDR), I really couldn't
notice any difference b/t this virtual machine and a real Windows XP.
Things have really improved.

For both habitual and involuntary Windows users, running Windows under
VMWare/Linux offers several distinct advantages.  For example, it allows
easy backup (the entire Windows OS is reduced into a folder) and
multiple configurations (you can have multiple versions/configurations
of Windows on the same machine).  However, it does require both a VMWare
license ($199) and a Windows license.

On the requirement of a Windows license, I found out that VMWare does
not accept an upgrade CD--it must be a full version CD.  I hope someone
could tell me that I am wrong.  Wayne