[LUAU] OT: Looking for networks-off topic

Charles Lockhart lockhart at ifa.hawaii.edu
Sun Sep 18 15:41:13 PDT 2005

>> I've had more practice in analytical and exploratory programming in  the
>> last two years than I ever wanted.  And then there's always a  certain
>> amount of fear that you're going to program something wrong  and burn it
>> up.
>
> You get over this when you finally do.

Well, I used to blow stuff up at Adtech all the time.  But now the price tag
is bigger.  The science grid array for nsfcam2 (essentially an infrared ccd,
a chip that's about 1inch x 1 inch) runs at about $400,000.  All I have to
do is program the bias voltages wrong, and it *could* burn out the chip
circuitry.  Or cool it down/heat it up to and from it's operating temp (37K)
too quickly, in which case it *could* basically shatter into dust.  And
we're not sure we can even buy a new one even if we had the money.  Wierd.

On the other hand, I've seen the hardware engineer guys break more than a
couple of different arrays, so maybe I shouldn't worry over much ;o)

> We should probably take this part off-line.  You're where I was when
> Hunter was 3-4 years old.

Yeah, I've got a three month old, an almost-two-year old, and four year old.

That is an incredibly scary example.  We're not sure how we're going to do
things over here.  I'm for Saint Joseph's, but it's $5K/year for one kid (I
think additional children are at a cheaper rate).  I know a lot of people
over here homeschool, but I don't think me or my wife have the personality
for that.  But we figured we'd see how public school works first, and then
freak out.

-Charles