[LUAU] Yum Repositories (Was: Appletalk)

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at hawaiilinux.us
Wed Oct 26 20:43:59 PDT 2005

Angela Kahealani wrote:

>I've used yup, yum and apt-get with Redhat / Fedora Core / Yellow Dog,
>apt-get with Debian, and finally emerge with Gentoo...
>they're all great tools... but they can only work as well as the
>repositories they feed from, and the Fedora Core EXTRAS split into two
>incompatible repositories finally drove me away from binary distros...
>I'm now a Gentoo fan.
>
>emerge --sync
>emerge --update --deep system
>emerge --update --deep world
>
>means I'll NEVER again have to install from scratch every 6 mos.

The incompatibilities between various yum repositories are not as bad as
I described it to be.  There appear to be two main camps: (Fedora extra
+ Livna) and (everything else, including the more common repositories
such as: dag, freshrpms, dries, newsrpm).  My experience is, avoid Livna
& everything (as far as yum is concerned) will be fine.  Most other
repositories have bent their way to accommodate Fedora extra, but not
Livna.  I have encountered problems mixing freshrpms and Livna.

On Gentoo, my experience is that the performance gain, if any, was not
nearly as great as I had expected.  But for big packages, such as GNOME,
the improvement in performance is definitely noticeable.

The problem is, most of the time, I just needed to install a package and
get it over with.  Gentoo would take too long to do this.  OTOH, "yumex"
(Yum extender) allows me to add a repository (per Google) on the fly
and, after a couple of clicks, your package is installed and actually
integrated into GNOME.  Whether this is good or bad, make your own
call.  Wayne