[LUAU] RR DNS servers changing

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Wed Oct 19 20:58:40 PDT 2005

On Oct 19, 2005, at 5:28 PM, Jeff Mings wrote:

> Hello friends of Linux,
>
>    As they did a few years ago, Roadrunner is changing their DNS
> numbers without telling anyone.  Please alert your users of the
> following from the RR network status page:

Thanks for the notice, but I use my own DNS servers (smallworks.com
(netgate.com is the same machine) and place.org).

The only thing I use from Time Warner is the actual cable modem
service.   I buy the "business class" service so I can call and bitch
when they take things down at 3am but don't declare a "maintenance
window".

Too bad HiTel has its head so far up its <orifice>, or I'd buy some
DSL from them.   Its *really* too bad that Verizon got out of Hawaii,
because there was a chance that we coulda had FIOS.   I'd love to
have 30Mbps down/5Mbps up.

http://www22.verizon.com/FiOSforhome/channels/FiOS/root/package.aspx

Heck, I'd pay for VDSL (especially if it had symmetric bandwidth) if
HiTel would offer it.

Ya know, Oahu is dense enough (in terms of housing density) and small
enough (in terms of populated areas) that it *just wouldn't take that
much"
to start lighting buildings with real bandwidth.

Some people were talking about "community networking" last night.
This is nearly always based on Wireless (and WiFi at that).  Its a
nice idea,
and a lovely thing to experiment with, but real scale will take fiber
strung down the poles with WiFi for the last 100 feet.

This kind of network availability is "yet something else" that we
will need before a vibrant tech community will settle in our state.