[LUAU] Re: Python (Was Re: Hosef)

Jimen Ching jching at flex.com
Tue Nov 29 00:23:30 PST 2005

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005, Clifton Royston wrote:
>  Knowing the basic syntax of each language does not initially give you
>this.

True.  Learning the syntax of a language doesn't help with the semantics
of a language.

>  My goal for a language-oriented group would be to see it help new
>programmers rapidly bridge the gap between knowing some basic commands
>and writing the language like a "native" - definitely for Python, and
>if possible for some other languages like Ruby, Lisp, PHP, whatever.
>
>  On initial organizational matters: Is there consensus for a Saturday
>vs. a weekday evening, at least for an initial meeting?

Since a programming language is a written language, there's really not
much interaction in terms of verbal exchanges.  Most of the time, if a new
programmer runs into a problem, the solution is often found in the
analysis of the code.  So, even if you meet face-to-face, you'll end up
looking at a computer monitor anyway.

A face-to-face meeting is good for brain-storming and other group related
activities.  Programming is not just sitting at the keyboard and typing.
Good programming should also involve interactions with peers and end
users.

--jc
Jimen Ching (WH6BRR)      jching at flex.com     wh6brr at uhm.ampr.org