[LUAU] Re: Python (Was Re: Hosef)

Tim Newsham newsham at lava.net
Tue Nov 22 16:00:18 PST 2005

>  Would anyone be interested in starting up a very informal Hawaii
> Python Users' Group?  Probably more of an occasional meet-up and chat,
> but we could see what evolves from it.

Ok, so lots of people are interested.  What's the next step?

It would be good to come together sometime and I guess talk shop.
Obviously it would be better if we could do it somewhere where people
had computers and the internet.  I'm not sure where that would be.
Perhaps the hosef lab space would be usable?  Scott?

So... when and where?  With the holidays coming up I'm sure people's
schedules are hectic, but I imagine most interested people could make a
saturday morning/afternoon time at some point in the next few weeks?

Beyond that, what are people hoping to get out of this?  I'm sure
different people will have different answers.  If we do all meet up,
whats our agenda?  Are we going to talk advocacy?  Go over some
tutorial type stuff?  Swap code and talk about it?  Talk about particular
technologies that interact with python?

Also further into things.. how much room do people want to allow for
other topics (rails, ruby, perl, lisp, etc...)

My input:  A saturday afternoon such as Dec. 3rd, around 1pm or so
for a few hours (2, maybe 3?) with an aim to teach and learn new stuff
by exchanging code and reworking it for demonstration purposes and
discussing it?  Geeky enough?

>    Clifton Royston  --  cliftonr at iandicomputing.com / cliftonr at lava.net

PS: I occasionally goof with some small code bits and post them to
my scrap directory.  There are lots of small python files here which
might be fun for people to look at:
   http://lava.net/~newsham/x/machine/
Mostly small digestable implementations of popular algorithms (like
min-edit distance used in diff(1)).

Tim Newsham
http://www.lava.net/~newsham/