[LUAU] Re: Hosef

Tim Newsham newsham at lava.net
Fri Nov 11 10:58:28 PST 2005

> The programming skill that is most critically needed is, hold your breath,
> StarBasic (or any Visual Basic equivalent that works with OpenOffice.org).

I completely disagree.

The programming skill that is most critically needed is: The one that gets
programmers started along the right track most easily.

The exact language is immaterial.  The language du jour will change many
times (and I don't think starbasic will ever be one of them), but that
doesn't matter, because a programmers can learn programming languages a
lot more easily than they can learn programming concepts.

I'm sure your goals of getting more open office support are important, but
if you teach teachers to teach a better programming language and they in
turn get more children hooked on programming, they will be programming
long after starbasic and openoffice and MS office (and MS) fade from
prominance.

> Wayne

Tim Newsham
http://www.lava.net/~newsham/