[LUAU] boot loaders and XP

jroby jim at jimroby.com
Tue May 24 15:28:29 PDT 2005

I just put up Novell-Susse on a laptop that came with XP..it
automatically installed grub and works just fine.I did have to edit grub
files to make XP the default as the user wished that.All I gave the
install was free space at the end of the drive,I note it created a swap
and file partition,but all in that
free space.

kilauea wrote:

> Aloha Kakou
>
> I have some questions regarding multi-boot (Linux & XP) systems. If I
> wanted to install Linux on an existing XP machine, would Grub or Lilo
> handle this? I assume that I would need to repartition with Parted or
> add of a second drive. Should I expect problems with boot loaders (Grub
> or Lilo) and virus checkering software?
>
> Mahalo to Wayne for concise answer to previous question!
> Kilauea

   "It is our true policy to steer clear of entangling alliances
      with any portion of the foreign world."
                                                                  -
George Washington

   "There are only two things we should fight for.
     One is the defense of our homes and the other is
      the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket."
                                                         - Maj Gen.
Smedley Butler, USMC

    "Make the lie big, make it simple, keep saying it,
      and eventually they will believe it"
                                                     - Adolf Hitler

     "You're not supposed to be so blind with patriotism that you can't
face reality.
        Wrong is wrong no matter who does it or who says it."
                                                      - Malcolm X

      "Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations;
         entangling alliances with none."
                                                      - Thomas Jefferson