[LUAU] Lighting up the Leeward Coast

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Tue May 17 17:34:44 PDT 2005

Over the last year or so I have tried very hard not to bombard LUAU with the
ongoing activities that HOSEF continues to perpetuate.  While recognition
from the Governor, the Legislature, the City Council, and Flavors of
Technology have been exciting and confirming of the vitality of Free and Open
Source Software in Hawaii, nothing is more critical than what will happen
Thursday.  A very special lunch will be held at Roy's in Ko Olina honoring
the work of some young men from Waianae Intermediate.

As esteemed members of our tech community, I would like to invite all of you
to join us and commend the most recent graduates of Computer Guts.  These
guys have astonished all who know them by engaging in this difficult course
that puts recycled computers, running Ubuntu Linux, into the hands of those
in need.  Their metamorphosis is indicative of the hope we strive to spring
from our schools.

If you cannot join us, and this is of course understood given the short
notice, please tell someone you know.  Call your favorite news outlet.  Write
your representative.  In a world full of excuses, we keep finding solutions.

--scott

Thursday, May 19, a 20-passenger stretch limousine will be bringing Hawaii's
most prestigious academic dignitaries to a special lunch at Roy's in Ko
Olina.  You are invited to join us and to applaud the perseverance of a class
of young men from Waianae Intermediate who have just completed the rigorous
Computer Guts program.  As graduates, each of these 8th graders will be
taking home his very own computer, fully loaded with Free software.

The five-part curriculum has allowed these oft-distracted and by no means
privileged students to disassemble and re-assemble computers, install
software, and to learn about the functions of computer components.  Their
hands-on experience is a fundamental building block for creating technical
competency in Hawaii.  The very modern IBM computers were donated by
Commercial Data Systems and The University of Hawaii's ICS Department.  When
they take home their Linux PC, they will have dial-up Internet service
provided by LavaNet.

No group of young men is more deserving of your time and attention this
Thursday, and I urge you to come by and congratulate them on their success
and selflessness.  The latter because during the course the boys had the
chance to upgrade from computers that they had already completed several
levels with.  Even though it meant repeating a very difficult step, they took
the upgrade and then donated their computers to the school which now has two
new classroom computer labs installed by the students.  These computers came
from the Department of Homeland Security.

The catalyst behind this program can be found in Bertina Hu.  An Americorp
participant in service to the Waianae Boys and Girls Club, Ms.  Hu has been
working with these young men from Waianae Intermediate for the past year.
She became familiar with the Hawaii Open Source Education Foundation and
their program to build sustainable technical literacy by recycling computers.
She began working with Scott Belford, HOSEF founder and spouse to an
active-duty Army Nurse.

The stretch SUV donated by Platinum Limousine will be picking up the young men
in front of all their peers at 10:30 Thursday morning.  They are expected to
dine from 11:30 to 1:00, and will then return to campus.  Your kudos and, in
the case of the media, willingness to interview the scholars, will be greatly
appreciated.