[LUAU] Relative Newbie Questions

Tim Newsham newsham at lava.net
Wed Mar 30 21:02:20 PST 2005

> Q1: What utility can I use to find out where the bulk of my files are?
> I'm running out of room and have created some bigger ext2 partitions and
> want to map the larger stuff over there.

I tend to do "du -sk *|sort -rn|more" in successively deeper
directories to track down where the space has gone.  Keep in
mind that "*" doesn't catch dot directories.  If you have reason
to believe a lot of space might be taken up in a dot directory
(rarely the case) then "du -sk * .?*" would be more appropriate.

> Q2: Is there an easy way just to move my stuff to the new partition, so
> that the system will appear the same.  I think I can do this manually
> with editing of /etc/fstab, but...

- format and mount your new partition/drive.
- Find a directory that contains a lot of storage that you want to
   move to another drive (ie. /usr/local).
- copy the data to a new drive (ie. cp -ax /usr/local /mnt/newdrive).
   For best effect this should be done while nobody will be adding
   new files to the directory (ie. single user).
- Remove the old files in the directory.  You can defer this step
   till later if you want to be sure that everything is working.
- unmount the new drive.
- add the new drive to /etc/fstab, mount it, and check out that everything
   is in order.

> Jacques L. Yerby <muho at well.com>

Tim Newsham
http://www.lava.net/~newsham/