[LUAU] serial modem

Brian Chee chee at hawaii.edu
Sun Mar 20 16:42:21 PST 2005

Didn't argue that point...but I do point out that the chipsets that zyxel
and others use now are built upon the work done by folks like US Robotics,
Motorola, and especially Microcom. The really cool compression and error
correction standards all came from those three companies and a few more.

For single modem installations the difference is pretty small. However, if
you have to maintain a large bank of modems (aol, earthlink, etc) the
difference becomes HUGE. So instead of tempting a flame war, I offer either
an offline conversation or if enough folks want to hear about sync/async
modems and some other weird and wonderful stuff like line drivers, short
haul modems, multidrop modems, and such...well make noise in my direction.

And yeah, external modems have rarely been plug_and_play; but that's mostly
been because you really ought to set the serial connection speed in stone
and only let the modem connection speed change depending upon the quality of
the connection. You also tend to have to change a dip switch on the modem to
force this action or change a register. Remember the "AT" Command set was
originated by Hayes and only became a defacto standard over many years.

/brian chee