[LUAU] serial modem

Brian Chee chee at hawaii.edu
Sun Mar 20 14:51:22 PST 2005

Zyxel, US Robotics, Motorola, etc...there are LOTS of external modems out
there. The issue is how fast do you want and what are you planning on doing
with it. If only a PPP dialup then go with a non-winmodem internal...much
easier to setup.

The main hassle with external modems is that you need to keep in mind that
there are two speeds to be concerned with. The serial interface speed, and
the connection speed. Good modems have some pretty nice buffers and such so
that you can has a serial interface setup at something like 115k but the
modem links at something like 64kb/sec. This is just for asynchronous
modems, synchronous modems are a whole different beast.

There are some proprietary modems out there that can do a bit better than
64kb/sec with some goofy compression and purposely leaving out some bits and
reconstructing them on the other side...kinda like what digital fountain
does and also how RAID reconstructs data. The hassle with this is that you
MUST have the same modem at both ends.

/brian chee