[LUAU] K12LTSP and VNC

Vince Hoang vince at litrium.com
Sun Mar 20 10:20:38 PST 2005

On Sun, Mar 20, 2005 at 12:09:29AM -1000, Tom Gordon wrote:
> I haven't noticed this happen to anything k12ltsp-related.
> Although, I have seen it happen for the kernel (new kernel
> broken) but that is why new kernels aren't set to boot by
> default. At the worst, for example, if the /etc/samba/smb.conf
> format changed heavily (which it hasen't in forever), he'd only
> have to reconfig his shares.
>
> Don't forget that all these upstream projects, while
> maybe not concerned with any particular OS, do try to be
> backwards-compatible. If you consider the OS expendable,
> recovery is simpler. Just worry about /home and any other place
> you hide user data (something you always check for whenever you
> add a role to the server - ie database, web, mail, etc.).

The points you list are a valid for both automatic and manual
updates. I will submit that routine updates should not cause any
issues.

My main point against blind automatic updates is the timing
of it. With automatic updates, the administrator will not be
around if the updates fail. Imagine the system breaking when the
administrator is out sick or on vacation. When manual updates
are performed, it gives the administrator an immediate chance to
check and see if anything went wrong.

-Vince