VoIP (was: Re: [LUAU] interesting article on Mark Spencer/Digium)

Michael Bishop michael at michaelsplace.net
Fri Jun 10 18:26:01 PDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-06-10 at 10:18 -1000, Jim Thompson wrote:
> On Jun 10, 2005, at 10:04 AM, Hawaii Linux Institute wrote:
> > Jim Thompson wrote:
> >> http://news.com.com/Is+the+telephone+industry+ready+for+open
> >> +source/2008-1082_3-5737703.html
> >>
> > Perhaps you could enlighten us with an informed talk on Linux-based
> > PBX?
>
> Any reason to not have Matt Darnell (sp?) come do so instead?   He
> runs an Asterix (and SER) based business here in Honolulu.

I've been using Matt's service for a few weeks now and so far it works
great. I'm using Residential Road Runner and I haven't needed to
prioritize my traffic. However, if I'm downloading or uploading while on
a call we start to breakup. Which is exactly what Matt had told me would
happen.

I'm looking at setting up a router with HTB
(http://luxik.cdi.cz/~devik/qos/htb/) or some type of packet
scheduler/prioritizer.

As for the phones, I've tried just about every linux based soft phone I
can find and the only one I could get working reliably was the Debian
unstable version of kphone. Its very simple to use and it just works.
The only problem is that I haven't figured out how get an incoming call
to ring on my speakers and not the USB headset.

> Tens of thousands of geeks already do this.    (BTW, your lawyer
> mentality is showing.  :-)    Its nearly trivial to setup.   Does
> LUAU/HOSEF have
> technical get-togethers with speakers?  (Or is that CyberPizza?  (And
> what about those of us trying to cut down on carbs?))

We are planning to start having workshops again like we had before. I
guess Matt can be our first speaker. I'll chat with him about it.