[LUAU] MythTV on Fedora

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Wed Jun 1 12:57:08 PDT 2005

On Jun 1, 2005, at 9:05 AM, Hawaii Linux Institute wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
> Jim Thompson wrote:
>

>> I've got a pair of (still unused) pcHDTV cards that are almost a
>> year  old now.   (Very little DTV on my side of the island, ok
>> *NONE* that  I can find.)
>>

> I think USB will be the future (in the sense that you can have a
> very small box that does everything).  However, if you happen to be
> in town, perhaps you can bring those pcHDTV cards to McKinley?
> BTW, is your house finished?  It's been a long while.  (I
> understand it is a big mansion, when are you gonna invite us over
> for a party?  Just kidding.)

I live in a 3br condo.  One of the three is an office for my wife and
I.    We did the big house back in Spokane.
(www.theglovermansion.com for those of you who don't know.)   We are
*so* done with that.   As previously posted, I have my own little
party here most nights.

I'm in-town, but the kid has a party on Sat.

>> I'd be interested in seeing how well a 1GHz VIA works with these,
>> A  P4 would just be way too hot and noisy for the living room.
>>

> I used to consult on VIA during one of their early patent
> infringement defenses against Intel.  VIA's next main push is on
> relatively "low speed" (1.2 ~ 1.6 GHz), low power, low/no noise,
> relatively inexpensive dual core processors with small L2 cache
> (256K), ideal for hign-end AV applications.  Perhaps they will be
> willing to donate a few of their single processor systems to help
> us build another (brand new) LTSP project (& hope they will
> appreciate the free publicity).  This is something I will be trying
> to work on during my next trip to Taiwan.  Wayne

And I was "quite close" to the lawyer who mounted the defense in
Intel .v AMD on the whole subject of microcode for the 486.  sigh.

VIA has announced that "c7" (avaialble next year) will ship at
1.5GHz, but will clock up to 2.0GHz.   The L2 cache is 128K.

The Eden-DP (VIA's first dual core chip) has 2 Eden CPUs, each with
64KB of cache.