[LUAU] Re: [AWN] Wi-Fi traffic jam in Hawaii

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Wed Jun 1 12:36:07 PDT 2005

Aloha Nam,

Continuing the metaphor.

You suppose there are businesses who's sole function it is to service
pay toilets?   Keep the rolls changed, hourly cleanings, payroll for
the attendants, that kind of thing?

Probably not.  Many states (NY and CA are two) have outlawed pay
toilets.

I have no idea of your age (I'm 43.)  Pay toilets used to be a
popular option in the US (I remember a few from my youth.) I remember
that there was a social custom of holding the door so the next person
could "get in free".    Otherwise, the wise individual carried
several dimes.   They're all but gone now, with only a few municipal
experiments that thrive.

There is a fair amount of information here:
http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=511929

Wayport has its offering that is a mix of pay toilet culture and
Internet services.   They call it "Laptop Lane".   Its a cube farm that
you can rent by the 5 minute increment.  (OOOH, just what I want, to
spend more time in my cube!)   Way back in 1999, "Laptop Lane" was a
separate company, and Wayport provided the service for their new
(pair of) Cube Farms in Chicago's O'Hare airport.    I installed same
(they were a high profile customer, and I wanted to test the software
that our techs would be using, but be able to fix the issues (and
database) manually if required.

I took along a pair of 802.11b APs (the Aironet 4800) and installed
one in each set of cubes.   Two weeks later it snowed, and ORD got
shut down with several thousand passengers inside.  The cube farms
filled, and a queue formed.   Then, and only then, and a light-bulb
went off in the minds of the Laptop Lane founders.   The *entire
terminal* could be a big cube farm.  (For indeed, most of the
concourse was covered.)

But on that day, it was free.   As was every airport that was
installed while I was still the CTO of Wayport.  My little 'gift' to
those who could find a card.   Man, did that every piss off
Mobilestar (now T-Mobile) and Laptop Lane (when they were still a
separate business).   You could hear the outrage from a thousand
miles away.  They knew they couldn't compete with free, and we put up
little coupons that you could save to use for free connectivity at
the hotel later.  This got people using the service at the airport
(driving awareness), and allowed us to steer customers to Wayport
enabled hotels.    We had software that tried hard to limit you to
one coupon.  You could route around it if you knew what you were
doing, but for the most part, we enjoyed hearing back from the hotel
that people were picking the hotel based on the availablity of
broadband at the hotel.  I had a lot of fun at Wayport, until the day
I brought in a copy of "The Cluetrain Manifesto" for every one of the
company's executives and managers.  The CEO got a lot more paranoid.
He thought i was trying to take over.  It must have been "Hyperlinks
subvert hierarchy" that got him.   Then the VCs replaced him with a
new, stupid CEO.   I tried to introduce him to "Cluetrain" and he
waved it off as a book for "people who program routers".   I left 6
months later.  After I left, the meter went in on Wayport's airport
WiFi.

Yyou may want to take a look at companies like Panera Bread and
Schlotzky's, both offer Free WiFi (and toilets) in their venues.  And
its good for business.   Further, I don't recall Starbucks charging
for cream and sugar (or bathroom use).  Nor do they wander the tables
picking up the newspapers that have already been read in an effort to
drive newspaper sales in their stores.

Would these things be different in your world?

Take a look at: http://www.computerworld.com/printthis/
2003/0,4814,86149,00.html  (quoting):

         In fact, Shaich considers free Wi-Fi to be such an essential
marketing tool that he dismisses any discussion of ROI. "What is the
ROI on a
         bathroom?" asked Shaich, pointing out that the day of pay
restrooms in restaurants has long since passed.

There are several hotel chains that offer "free WiFi" as well.   Even
some airports.
In reality the public WiFi market will fragment into three parts (and
perhaps it already has):

1) Free access given away as a public good.   This is the community
wireless (and now Metro WiFi) action plan.

2) Free (amenity) access to attract people to locations to engage in
transactions.   Hotels, coffee shops, restaurants, etc.   You
(typically)
         have a choice on where to go for coffee or a burger.

3) Paid access where people engaged in transactions want Internet
access.  This will only happen where the
     need to be in a given location exceeds the need for access.
Examples including being at an airport in order to catch a flight
     or sitting in a convention center in order to attend a conference.
These could also be thought of as being in increasing order of
captivity.   People will only pay to access the Internet when they
are already engaged in a transaction tens or perhaps hundreds of
times as costly as the connectivity.   You spend several hundred
dollars to catch a flight, but spending $40 at a burger joint is
outrageous, even in Hawaii.

If you're really held captive (on a cruise ship), you can be outright
robbed: http://doc.weblogs.com/discuss/msgReader$3219

Here is Doc Searls on PayFi: http://doc.weblogs.com/
2003/03/05#freeFiFoFun

Personally, I think that Honolulu C&C should light up the beaches and
public parks.   I'd be prepared to lend a hand to do it, too.   This
isn't so much so you can use your computer on the beach (trust me,
there are better things to do), but rather that it would enable a
whole new set of applications while on the beach, provide a public
good, and be a "Really Cool Hack" (TM).

The San Diego wireless folk are lighting up a low-income section of
that city with APs that Netgate has donated.

As for the Recipients, here is a brief directory:

Rod Tateyama:   MIS guy (?) at the Halekulani.

Stewart Yerton:  The author of the article

LUAU:  Linux Users AnonymoUs  -- essentially the linux "club" in our
state.   These days its the primary mailing list for HOSEF

     (Hawaii Open Source Education Foundation (www.hosef.org))

AustinWireless:  the community wireless group in Austin, Texas.
Best known for lighting up several parks in Austin and more recently,

     helping kill the Texas bill that would have prevented municipal
WiFi in Texas.  (www.austinwireless.net)   As an aside, Jon Lebkowski
and I were once in business together, but we try to not allow that to
interfere with our friendship.

Glenn Fleischman:  Unsolicited pundit, freelance journalist, blogger,
book author, Sr. Editor Jiwire, Macintosh God, former Amazon employee.

             www.glennf.com and "WiFi Network
News" (80211b.weblogger.com)

Doc Searls:  co-author of "Cluetrain" (www.cluetrain.org), Sr. Editor
of Linux Journal, board member at several companies that I won't list
here.

         Well-known blogger (main: doc.weblogs.com, "IT Garage"
http://garage.docsearls.com/, etc).

As for me, since 1988:
         Sun Microsystems: (built and managed the Internal, world-
wide network, fought off people who wanted to do internal "charge back")
         Tadpole:  (notebook SPARC (and other) workstations.   First
exposure to wireless Ethernet (1993/1994).   First exposure to Linux
(1995).
                     http://www.byte.com/art/9506/sec9/art12.htm
                     http://sunsite.uakom.sk/sunworldonline/
swol-10-1995/swol-10-newproducts1.html#wk12.tadpole.P1000
         (I was the guy who had to make all but WFW 3.11 and Win95 work)
         Smallworks:  (consultancy, where, among other things we
wrote parts of every commercial DHCP and AAA server)
         Wayport:  The first (with Mobilestar) "public Internet
access" company.   There was (and still is) a lot of linux that
drives Wayport.
         Musenki:  World's first "open source" 802.11 Access Points
         Vivato:  Phased array 802.11 (still driven by linux)
         Netgate:  escape from the corporate world

During the Tadpole/Smallworks daze, I also co-owned "Fringeware" with
Jonl and others.   While there, I dropped free Internet into the
Flightpath
coffee shop.  This was 1995 or so.   The connectivity was serial
ports (SLIP, PPP) and 10baseT Ethernet.

So its probably been a decade or so for me doing "free IP'", as well
as being part of one of the world's first (and largest) providers of
for-fee WiFi and Ethernet connectivity.  I too once thought that
people would pay simply because it was there.  I eventually had to
ask Wayport's board, "what are you going to do when its all free?"
Then again, I once thought that I could run two 802.11b APs in the
same box.

We all learn.

jim

p.s. you are probably aware that the "connection" between sitting on
the toilet and WiFi use is quite strong.   Nearly everyone has done
both at the same time at some point.   Wayport's founder once
famously snooped on the Mobilestar offices by sitting in the john of
the office building.