[LUAU] Intel Doubles Down on Linux

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at hawaiilinux.us
Sun Jul 24 22:33:21 PDT 2005

Jimen Ching wrote:

>I don't understand why people need to point out that Unix and X are 30
>year old technology.  Do these people realize that cars still use
>combustion engines that were developped almost a century ago?  Why aren't
>they complaining that we aren't using anti-matter or something?  This just
>shows the gap in the CS world between those who understand and those who
>don't.  In this day and age, you'd think the gap is narrowing.  But it
>seems to be widening...
>
>--jc

Jimen-

Thanks for taking time expounding the myth of X.  Actually, most of the
biases against X are probably related to our close association of X with
XFree (& IMHO are justified).  As I mentioned in my original post, I
strongly recommend anyone interested in the recent revolutionary
progress in X (by Xorg), to read the August issue of Linux Format.

Last Friday, Sun made available free download of Neveda build 17 (or 2nd
Solaris 11 beta).  In the release note, Sun mentioned that one of the
key events is that "the AGPgart driver is integrated".  It can be said
that, without the emergence of Xorg from XFree, this would not have been
possible.  I also believe that the SOS (Solaris/OpenSolaris) will make a
very refreshing improvement in how we view X.  Wayne