[LUAU] CentOS4 Hung on Up2date

Michael Bishop michael at michaelsplace.net
Fri Jul 8 00:39:17 PDT 2005

On Thursday, July 7, 2005, at 10:37 AM, Blake Vance wrote:

> Youch!
>
> Older NEC 333 MHz, 192 MB RAM PC had been
> chugging along with CentOS 4 until I ran
> up2date. After retrieving all 119 MB of
> openoffice.org-il8n-1.1.2..., PC hung
> (mouse/KB nonresponsive). Reboot yielded
> "Press <Ctrl-B> to select MBA boot method [2
> options] (Default is PXE)".
>
> Option 1 for boot using TriROM:
> "MSD: no reply, then Rx2 Rx2 ...
> File server could not be found"
>
> Option 2 using Preboot Execution Environment
> (PXE):
> "DHCP MAC ADDR: 00 10 4B 39 03 D0
> PXE-E52: No IP address received from DHCP or
> BOOTP.
> PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE.
> Operating System not found"
>
> Any suggestions, before I reinstall OS?
> Might I have been running up against a
> memory shortage on the package retrieval?

It sounds more like a hardware problem. Without diagnosing the computer
first hand, I suggest running SpinRite [http://grc.com/spinrite.htm] on
the hard drive first, then do a memtest and then run something like
Stress Linux [http://www.stresslinux.org/] or some stress test
utilities on the Ultimate Boot CD.

All the programs listed above are Free or Open Source except SpinRite
which costs $89. I'd be willing to run it on your drive this Saturday
at McKinley from 10am. Email me if your interested.

I've also had problems with yum/up2date on CentOS 4, which combined
with other problems was enough reason to switch to something else. In
this particular case, I switched to Debian.

Michael