[LUAU] Re: Laptop Install

Michael Bishop michael at michaelsplace.net
Wed Jul 6 22:17:35 PDT 2005

On Wednesday, July 6, 2005, at 01:49 PM, Hawaii Linux Institute wrote:

> Michael Bishop wrote:
>
>> Come to McKinley on Saturday at 10am and we'll show you how to
>> install Linux on your laptop. Are there any particular distros that
>> you are interested in? What do you want to do with Linux?
>
> Hi Michael-
>
> Have you been able to find solutions to the "suspend to ram" and Wi-Fi
> driver problems?  Wayne

AFAIK for STR, it depends mostly on hardware and ones determination to
get it working. I've had an IBM T42 which worked great, but to get it
to that point took much tweaking and configuring. Even then the hard
work was done by others, I just had to follow the "bread crumbs" as
they say. Also, running Debian, which seems to be the most IBM friendly
distro, helped tremendously.

AFAIK for wifi, particularly for the Centrino, there it greater support
now to the point where it can be considered reliable. For USB wifi will
always be problematic from my POV because it has a small market.

Michael