[LUAU] Re: Laptop Install

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Wed Jul 6 18:21:28 PDT 2005

Jim Thompson wrote:

> Heck, I've had both of those working on an IBM X21 and an ancient
> Dell Lattitude.
>
> The big clue is to run a 2.6 kernel.

IBM has a special kernel patch to allow STR (sleep mode = 3) to work.  I
understand that this patch might have been incorporated into the 2.6.11
kernel.  I don't know about Dell.  But generally, even with the 2.6.11
kernel, STR does not work on most machines, desktops or notebooks.
Warren had a little discussion on STR re IBM T41:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/wtogami/7106.html

But it still appears to drain quite a bit of juice during suspend.

On most machines (e.g., my HP/Compaq), putting them to sleep is not the
problem, waking them up is.  SuSE Pro 9.3 specifically advertised that
it includes the STR feature, while most Fedora users seem to have given up.

Saturday is always a bad day for me.  I was wondering whether you have
done anything to the xorg.conf file?  How about the Wi-Fi?  Wayne