[LUAU] Might I Be Hacked?

John S. Johnson jsj at amagata.com
Fri Jan 21 13:24:49 PST 2005

I am an admitted newbie at Linux, although I have had Linux running on
my box for some time as a server. I have FC1 installed and use yum to
update every week or so. The problem I have is that as of yesterday my
system, which is a 1Ghz system whose only function is to serve web
pages(and pull from a DB for some info), has slowed down to a crawl.
Attempts to telnet in slow to the point they get timed out. Being an
MCSE, I have the ol Microsoft "reboot" theory of fixing issues, but that
doesn't work(not that I suspected it would). My concern is that I might
have gotten hacked somehow. I know absolutely zero about how to go about
seeing if my system has been compromised. I know this is a totally
newbie question, but would appreciate a couple pointers. Thanks in
advance!

--John Johnson