[LUAU] Re: LUAU Digest, Vol 22, Issue 21

Josh josh_0b11111010101 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 31 18:48:46 PST 2005

> I hear great praise for Dr. Philip Johnson and his
> software
> engineering class where you work on
> java/eclipse/ant/cvs/junit.
>
> Dr. Edo Biagioni's operating systems class makes you
> hack on the
> Linux kernel.

Sounds fun... I hope they will let me in without the
prerequisites...

> You will probably be writing in java for your first
> two classes.
> I cannot speak highly enough for Dr. Dan Suthers.
> Take his ICS211
> class if you can.

Thanks for the recommendation.  I will try to do that.

> Universities tend to have an agnostic or *nix slant.
> When I toyed
> with the idea of pursuing an ICS masters degree, the
> ICS program
> was java-slanted. I am not sure how much .NET has
> influenced
> things over the past few years.

I know one programmer who went to UH and he is 100%
pro-Microsoft.  I have Visual Studio but I would
rather learn something with a more open-source
philosophy.  I had so much trouble making a dual boot
system on my new laptop I just installed Ubuntu on the
whole thing and am not using Windows anymore...

> > I was disappointed that the UH web site student
> login
> > pages only provided help instructions to Windows
> > IE/Netscape and Mac Safari users...
>
> Write to the webmaster to update the documentation.

Good idea...