[LUAU] when hosef, luau, and the mirror go down

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Fri Aug 26 21:45:13 PDT 2005

Nearly every day, with our without email traffic, the server providing
this list, our local mirror, and hosef confronts a barrage of iso
downloads, photo gallery reloads, and script kiddie assaults.

You may or may not have noticed that it spent a few days being
unavailable three weeks ago.  What no one has the privilege of knowing,
for better or worse, is just what happens when hardware fails and our
faithful server needs servicing.  I should share.

Our friend Vince Hoang humbly and quietly keeps things going as a
service to us all.  He was the first to notice and called my attention
to the situation.  Our friend Brian Chee of UH, provider of rack space,
bandwidth, UPS assurance, and IP space, withstood several powerless
panicked phone calls, and emails, from yours truly.

On Monday, by bike, our friend Michael Bishop made his way to the server
room to assess the situation.  He diagnosed a bad hard drive (have you
become a member, yet, so that you can help be a part of this hard
drive?) and proceeded to work with Vince to bring up the failed array.
He then RMA'd the bad drive and returned it to its rightful home serving
you this list, all the photos and updates at hosef, and isos by the
score.  Kudos to you three.

--scott