[LUAU] Re: Did you call?

tclapes tclapes at attglobal.net
Wed Sep 29 16:39:47 PDT 2004

I'm not a big fan of the Induce Act, but with the qualifications that it
now carries, it seems to me quite wrong to say that the Act would
overturn the time-shifting use of recording devices, which is all that
the Betamax case permitted.

Example: a DV recorder with   a carousel that  allows the user to make
100 copies at a time would pretty clearly be prohibited by this act, but
one that can make only 1 copy at a time wouldn't.  The one-copy DVR
would never be in danger -- even though it was being used not for
time-shifting but for space-shifting (e.g., taking a DVD copy on the
road to watch on your laptop) unless in time it became clear to
reasonable people that such devices were being used for "widespread"
unauthorized copying other than for private, noncommercial, nonpublic use.

If that weren't enough, the bill specifically states that it shall not
diminish the rule in the Betamax case.

There might be other reasons reasons for opposing the Induce Act, but
the idea that Ashcroft is going to confiscate your iPod isn't one of them.

This note may not be appropriate to the luau list, I don't know, but
since action is being urged on the participants, I thought it would be
helpful to adjust the focus knob on this issue.

LLAP,
Tony

--

Anthony L. Clapes