[LUAU] HOSEF goes to Western Samoa

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Tue Sep 14 02:37:44 PDT 2004

HOSEF will be working with Shawn Barnes of ACES to send OSS powered
computers to Western Samoa

Shawn Barnes, former Peace Corps volunteer from W. Samoa, was a teacher
there for several years and had great experiences introducing computers
to his school.  With the intent of donating 60 computers to 5 different
schools, he founded ACES, Aloha Computers for Education in Samoa.  UH
provides him some storage space that is his until Dec. 31.  He came to
HOSEF because he had heard about Linux and OSS, and he wanted some more
information.

We have been discussing the pros, cons, strengths, and weaknesses.
After consulting with the Peace Corps recipients, they made the decision
to use Linux on these computers.  HOSEF arranged delivery of the
computers needed to bring his total to 60.  We are working towards a
November 3 shipment date so that the schools can be set up and ready for
January.

We will be holding Workshops at his facility by the Coliseum to test and
prepare the machines.  Installation of either the k12ltsp distro or
Skolelinux is still being determined, but the testing of the clients and
configuring of the servers is needed.

If you are interested in helping and in coming by the workshops, keep an
eye on the HOSEF calendar where times will soon be announced.  Should
you find it convenient to visit us, we would appreciate your help and
encourage you to contact us ahead so that detailed directions can be
provided.

--scott

--
R. Scott Belford