[LUAU] Fedora Core 2 and Silence

Ben Beeson bwbees0 at charter.net
Mon Sep 13 22:48:58 PDT 2004

Aloha,

        I upgraded to FC2 from RH 9 yesterday and today I noticed that
the CD player will not make any noise.  Grip, xmms, the gnome-cd etc all
start up OK, and will 'play' their files -- only no sound is heard from
the speakers. My box has a soundblaster 16 card, the same card that has
worked just fine through many upgrades since the box came with VALinux
6.0 (a slightly customized RH 6.0) a few years ago.  The only change to
the box has been the install of FC2.

        I have googled and read messages and tried all sorts of stuff,
but no matter what I try to /etc/modules.conf or with alsa, the sound
card is not detected and therefore cannot be coaxed to work. I feel
quite sure I am missing the obvious, but sndconfig is gone from FC2, so
I am out of airspeed and ideas right now.  If anybody has any ideas, I
would be grateful -- the silence is deafening.

Mahalos in Advance,

Ben