[LUAU] Hosef on Desktoplinux.com

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Fri Sep 10 14:41:51 PDT 2004

Incidentally, many of us probably don't think the State of Hawaii is
doing a whole lot about OpenSourceSoftware.  But during the most recent
AOSS (Asian Open Source Software) symposium, some attendees praised our
State's contributions in the "Plone" project (until its most recent
update, Plone's home page used to prominently display Governor Lingo's
picture) .

(Hawaii's Plone team produced an impressive demo video; one Taiwanese
attendee told me that he used this video to convince his boss to fund
his own Plone project:)

http://olepe.icsd.hawaii.gov/dags/icsd/content/video/higovdemo_250k.asf

Also, it appears that our state eGovernment employees have gone the
extra mile and made it sure that their Adobe pdf files are compatible
with the Linux OS.  If you have tried to print the downloaded tax forms
from the Federal IRS in Linux, then you know that there are a lot of
things Washington DC can learn from Honolulu.

Indeed, Hawaii's "open OS" attitude (thus, freeing the general public
from being reined by a single OS vendor--Microsoft) should be the model
for all the other 49 states.  Microsoft Windows is used by perhaps 90%
of all computer users, but that should not mean that our government can
ignore the rights of the rest 10%, and thus becoming the primary force
to uphold Microsoft's felonious monopoly.  wayne