[LUAU] Star Office vs Open Office?

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Wed Sep 8 10:20:22 PDT 2004

There is another issue that may affect the performance of OOo; it has
something to do with, from my own experience, the "choice" of Athlons vs
Pentiums.

Several years ago, when running the pre-1.0 versions of Mozilla, I
noticed a huge difference in performance between Athlon and PIII.  The
Athlons have a much better memory-caching mechanism than the PIII (which
is the best processor in the Pentium family, including P4).

Most Linux programs (including Netscape) do not show noticeable
difference between Athlon and PIII, after adjusting for equivalent
clockspeeds.  But the difference with regard to Mozilla was very astounding.

Athlons/Opterons are now the first choices for Linux professionals to
build servers as well as Linux desktops.  But if you are stuck with the
Pentium processors, perhaps a more mature code such as StarOffice may be
a better choice than OpenOffice.

(Microsoft and Intel used to share secrets that are not available to
AMD.  Illegal, but unenforceable.  Now with Linux on the rise, AMD's
handicaps are turning into big advantages.)  wayne