[LUAU] Making a Wish

R. Scott Belford scott at hosef.org
Tue Nov 9 12:28:29 PST 2004

Yesterday I learned why I do what I do for HOSEF.  I thought I already knew.

On Mondays from 4-6 I have started my Computer Guts 101 class for the
kids at the Boys and Girls Club in Ewa.  We take apart and rebuild
computers.  In two weeks we have fully disassembled and reassembled 4
computers while learning the names of the parts and how a system of
components makes a computer.  Big Deal.

Near the end of our workshop it was down to me and 4 little girls, ages
7 and 8.  One of them noticed how pretty the setting sun was.  I told
everyone to make a wish on it.

Blank Stares.

"How do you make a wish, Computer Guy?"

How do you make a wish?  Did you ever have to ask that, or did you just
know?  Can you imagine not having enough youthful optimism to know what
a wish is or how to make one?

I explained that you think of something that you really want to have
happen, to you, to your friends, to your family, whatever.  Then you
"wish" that this will happen.  You don't tell anyone, though, because
then it would be hope.  A wish has to be your secret.  If you could have
seen their smiles and glee when they made their very own *wish* you
would understand.

If you could have seen their smiles and glee you would understand that
HOSEF is doing something very big here.  I know you are busy.  I know
that you have done enough already.  Perhaps you still don't really know
who we are or what we are doing.  It is time.

If you care about making a difference in the life of a child, if you
care about economic development independent of tourism, if you care
about the values of Open Source Software, it is time to do more.  Why
aren't you?  Are you waiting for someone to move here, start an OSS
business, and *give* you a job?

We are working with our Department of Education, we are working with the
Boys and Girls Club, we are working with the ATR (part of DOE) to create
Linux classes.  Our schools have a mandate to meet or exceed NCLB
standards, and we are helping them to appreciate how Free Open Source
Software labs provide applications easily integrated into their
curricula.  We do this as a community service.

Do something.  Volunteer for us.  Become a member of HOSEF.  See if your
local school needs computers.  Learn some skills and help us to look
after our installs.  Start a business and leverage the amazing inroads
we are making.

Do your part to make certain that no child ever again has to ask "How do
you make a Wish?"

--scott

--
R. Scott Belford