[LUAU] EMail Server Limits

Eric Hattemer hattenator at imapmail.org
Sat May 29 20:46:35 PDT 2004

Maddog wrote:

>My Exchange Server has a 16 GB limit and it was reached today and crashed the server. I have been trying to get these guys to buy me a server I can run Debian + Exim + Squirrelmail on without any luck. Will that combination crap out when the DB swells?

I don't know about exim, but squirrelmail tends to depend on cyrus for
sieve filtering, which uses individual files for each email, at least if
they are delivered via postfix.  So as long as your filesystem doesn't
have a maximum number of files/inodes, you can have as much mail as you
want.  Straight postfix or sendmail uses one big file for the mail, but
that's per account.  If exchange is using one db for the entire system,
even postfix/sendmail would lighten the load a lot.  I just set up my
mail server a week ago, so let me know if you have some questions on
it.  I don't have a lot of professional experience, but I know off the
top of my head the answers to the types of questions someone new to
linux email would ask.  Unfortunately, you need several programs in a
mail system, and every combination has a different setup.  I use
postfix, cyrus, spamassassin, and squirrelmail.  Squirrelmail has a
builtin filter interface based off a sieve server that cyrus provides.

-Eric Hattemer