[LUAU] The file that would not die...

MonMotha monmotha at indy.rr.com
Sat May 22 18:29:50 PDT 2004

Eric Hattemer wrote:
> You don't need to own or have write permission on the file, but you do
> need to have write permission to the directory its in.  Make sure the
> directory that has it is at least drwx------.  If that's not your
> problem, try running fsck on the (unounted) partition.
> -Eric Hattemer

He's root.  Permissions aren't the problem (unless he has an ACL
system).  Running fsck on the unmounted partition may find and fix the
problem.

If the partition is your root partition, you won't be able to unmount it
to fsck it.  Drop to single user mode (init 0), then do "mount -o
remount,ro /" to remount it readonly, then run fsck.  If it's not your
root partition, just drop to single user and unmount it to run fsck.

If that doesn't turn up any problems, check to make sure there's no
filesystem specific attributes set on the file.  For example, ext2/3 has
chattr +i which makes the file completely untouchable, even by root
(though root can undo the +i).  I don't know if ResierFS has anything
like these.

Another thing to try is to see if you can remove the file while in
single user mode.  While Linux doesn't really care if another app is
accessing a file (it just buffers writes to it then deleted it when that
app closes it), there may be something silly going on with some running app.

Barring that, I'm pretty stumped.  Try asking the reiserfs people (on
ext2 I'd bust out debugfs and see what's up).

--MonMotha