[LUAU] Cheap linux router

Brian Chee chee at hawaii.edu
Wed May 19 12:49:03 PDT 2004

For those of you that want a really cheap Linux router take a look at
http://lrp.steinkuehler.net/ unfortunately the original Linux router project
died from lack of support. That is the version that I originally used and
loved. Keep in mind that quite a few of the new micro-ATX motherboards can
boot from Compact Flash, and that gives you a very quite, and power miserly
router with nearly unlimited interface potential while eliminating the
inherent unreliability of a floppy boot device.

The PODS project used a LRP router for a couple years on an old P90 booting
from a floppy...it was stable and routed just fine. The downside is the old
power hungry power supply....but the machine was destined for a scrapheap
and we got another couple years out of it until we went to an Extreme Summit
layer 3 switch so that OSPF would be less of a problem....

You can also get a FULLY functional router from the Zebra project...it has
all the latest protocols and even has an IOS front end for it. Very cool and
quite fast.

/brian chee

University of Hawaii ICS Dept
Advanced Network Computing Lab