[LUAU] FC1

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Mon May 10 13:20:57 PDT 2004

Taylor Cody L. Contr 502 AOS/PETS wrote:

>The grub entry for the
>original kernel shows root=/dev/hdc3.  But, it also has an entry for a .img
>ramdisk.

Having re-read your original post, I don't think this is possible.  When
you have a separate /home partition along with one or more extended
partitions, your root partition / will be bumped to hdc5 or further
(unless you "force" / to be a primary partition).  Your original
grub.conf should have shown root=/dev/hdc5

>Would the ramdisk entry in grub fix the wrong root= entry in grub
>allowing / to be found?

The ramdisk entry allows modules that are not compiled into the kernel
to be loaded during boot time; it has nothing to do with solving your
problem.

>Also, would fedora prefer to have / on hdc5 because XP is on hdc1?

For some reason, Fedora prefers to have / on extended partition no
matter whether  your have XP or not.

>I did not make a ramdisk, I just changed root=/dev/hdc3 to root=/dev/hdc5
>and grub found my / partition and everything went smoothly.
>Any info will be appreciated.  Thanks.  -Cody

You do not need a ramdisk because all the modules you need have been
compiled into the kernel.  If you change to a new hardware, you may not
be that lucky.  wayne