[luau] going off topic

Hawaii Linux Institute wp at HawaiiLinux.us
Mon Mar 15 13:15:01 PST 2004

Whether these should be considered "craps" depends on our expectations.
If we want this forum to be an anonymous ivorytowered chat site, then
perhaps the answer is yes.

Jeff can correct me on this, but I believe 50% of our state's economy
depends on government jobs and spending, 25% on tourism, which is, in
some way, quasi-governmental. Thereafter, a big chunk of the rest goes
to big ticket "wholesale retailers" such as Costco, Home Depot, Sams
Club, etc. The survival games depends, to a more significant extent than
most other states, on our knowledge about local issues. A lot of what we
do are more or less political. Most so here than all the states that I
have done business in.

Anyway, the above "going off topic" comment seems to have nothing to do
with Linux. But I have been thinking about a Constitutional amendment
(state constitution) to "force" various government agencies to consider
open source software as a "first-priority" option. It is not the
eventual outcome that I care the most, but the process by which some of
our local political savvy open source advocates (if any) may utilize to
bring public's awareness to this issue. wayne

Vince Hoang ??: