[luau] Newbie Query - Browser Plugin?

Eric Hattemer hattenator at imapmail.org
Thu Mar 11 08:07:01 PST 2004

Ryan Kawailani Ozawa wrote:

>Great answers, everyone.  Thanks!
>
>So!  I tried urpmi, and used easyurpmi linked at urpmi.org, but although the
>man entry for urpmi is present on my Mandrake 9.2 install, the
>utility/executable itself couldn't be found ("bash: urpmi.addmedia: command
>not found").

You may need to install/reinstall urpmi.

>I decided to go the RPM route, and found both the firefox version linked
>here (cooker/beta) and the Macromedia Flash RPM at UCSC.  Unfortunately, I
>got stuck there, too.  Attempting to run rpm on both of them reported
>"Warning: <filename> V3 DSA Signature: nokey" yada yada yada "error: failed
>dependencies: libXinerama.so.1 is needed by <filename>"
>
>Ah, those pesky dependencies.  Where to from here?  <g>

One place to go is www.rpmfind.net (which has been swamped lately).  A
search on libXinerama.so.1 leads to XFree86-libs, which I would have
figured you would need to run X11 in general.  But anyway, go to one of
those http/ftp rpm directories and find XFree86-libs*.rpm and install
that one first.  Urpmi will automatically handle dependencies.  addmedia
may have been dropped in favor of the gui stuff.  Check in the mandrake
control center for an rpm tool.  It may be called something like
mandrake-control-packages or something.  Otherwise grab urpmi*.rpm

http://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/distributions/mandrake/9.2/i586/Mandrake/RPMS/urpmi-4.4-37mdk.noarch.rpm
http://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/distributions/mandrake/9.2/i586/Mandrake/RPMS/urpmi.setup-0.4.4-4mdk.noarch.rpm
http://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/distributions/mandrake/9.2/i586/Mandrake/RPMS/rpmdrake-2.1-35mdk.i586.rpm
http://mirrors.usc.edu/pub/linux/distributions/mandrake/9.2/i586/Mandrake/RPMS/XFree86-compat-libs-4.1.0-3mdk.i586.rpm

Try installing those rpms.  Unfortunately I don't have a mandrake
machine anymore, so that's why this stuff is all slightly vague.  I may
move back to mandrake, though, since I'm not so far impressed by Fedora.

-Eric Hattemer