[luau] Future of HOSEF

R. Scott Belford scott at belford.net
Sun Mar 7 14:27:00 PST 2004

Some of you may not know that we have a HOSEF managers list where we try
to hammer out HOSEF specific issues as we try to serve our Open Source
Community.

(domain changing soon)

An interesting question posed by our chair, Vince, is in desperate need
of your feedback.  I know that many of you need or want nothing from
HOSEF other than to sustain this mailing list, but think about the
masses we are trying to enlighten.  If you have some time today, please
let us know, either publicly or privately,  what you think about the
questions below:

> As an organization, what should HOSEF strive to be?
>
> Right now, HOSEF has succeeded as a purely voluntary group
> bringing low cost computer labs to a few schools.
>
> The area we have at Pricebusters will be going away. Where will
> the inventory go after that space is gone?
>
> Provided space is a non-issue, how do we maintain a supply of
> ready to donate thin clients?
>
> How can we better lobby the DOE and State to adopt more
> open-source solutions?
>
> Do we want to provide open-source development and training?
>
> What aspects should be out of scope for HOSEF and left to other
> organizations?
>
> Do we want to become an open-source clearinghouse for state?
>
> -Vince

And to this, let me add

What if someone gave HOSEF all the money it needed, what would we do
with it?

aloha, and thanks for your time

--scott